Alkarama is currently seeking two interns to work full-time as part of the Legal Department, from 1 July until 31 December 2016. One intern will assist the work of our desk officer covering North Africa and the other intern will assist the work of both our desk officers for the Gulf and Mashreq.
Description of the post
The work is varied, non-exclusively extending from research, interviewing of victims and recording of testimonies, drafting of complaints for submission to the UN human rights protection mechanisms, attendance and note-taking at UN conferences including the Human Rights Council, the Universal Periodic Review and Treaty Bodies sessions, synthesizing of information about individual cases of human rights violations, and drafting of reports. The interns will also be assisting the media department’s work on their region, in particular by drafting news stories. Interns at Alkarama are fully integrated to the team and benefit from the same work environment as the staff. They do have a real opportunity to contribute significantly to the work of the organisation, hence acquiring essential skills for their future career.
- Masters degree in law (international law, human rights law) or social sciences with an international law component;
- Spoken and written fluency in French (for the North Africa internship) or English (for the Gulf and Mashreq internship) with preferably a working knowledge of the other. Arabic would be a valuable asset;
- Strong research and analytical skills;
- Excellent writing skills;
- Demonstrated interest in human rights and the Middle East;
- Ability to work in a small and diverse team; professionalism and ability to work under sometimes tight deadlines;
- Computer skills (MS Office Suite and Internet).
Alkarama is only in a position to receive applicants who are legally allowed to engage in an internship in Switzerland (this usually applies to nationals of EU/EFTA or those who hold a residence permit in Switzerland). Alkarama is part of the “We pay our interns” initiative and as such provides interns with a monthly stipend.
How to apply
- The application should be in English and should contain:
- (1) a curriculum vitae;
- (2) a cover letter explaining your qualifications and motivation for the position.
- Once your application is ready, please apply here.
- The deadline is 1 May 2016. Please note that early applications are encouraged and that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. All applications will be treated in strict confidentiality.