OVERVIEW OF THE FUNCTIONS OF THE POST
Founded in 1964 by the late Nobel Laureate Abdus Salam and located in Trieste (Italy), the Abdus Salam International Centre for Theoretical Physics (ICTP) seeks to accomplish its mandate by providing scientists from developing countries with the continuing education and skills that they need to enjoy long and productive careers.
Under the supervision of the Senior Finance and Administrative Officer, the incumbent will the incumbent will ensure that voluntary contributions received by ICTP are administered in compliance with UNESCO and ICTP financial rules and regulations, and will assist with management of projects with regards to financial and audit matters.
Essential responsibilities include:
- Prepare and monitor contribution letters;
- Keep abreast and monitor project milestones;
- Review agreements for compliance with UNESCO and ICTP financial rules are regulations and collaborate with the scientific sections and programme offices accordingly;
- Maintain and manage a repository of all agreements;
- Track and monitor all payment requests, payments and register them in the ERP system to ensure compliance with IPSAS;
- Provide advice and support to scientists on budget and finance matters for the preparation of project proposals to funding organizations / agencies;
- Track and monitor all deliverables and internal documentation in order to prepare relevant reports;
- Collaborate with funding organizations, agencies, stakeholders of the scientific community as well as with colleagues in ICTP and Auditors.
COMPETENCIES (Core / Managerial)
- Advanced University degree (Master’s Degree or equivalent) in the field of in economics, finance, business administration or a related field.
- Less than 2 years of relevant experience in finance and/or management of financial contributions, preferably in an international environment;
- Demonstrated experience in working in project environments and in collaborating with donor and funding organizations/agencies;
- Proven track record of collaboration with scientists and drafting of scientific proposals in order to request external funding.
- Integrity, tact, discretion, ability to work as part of a team in an international environment;
- Good knowledge of standard computer hardware and software applications;
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively (both written and oral)
- Excellent knowledge of English (written and spoken).
- Experience in working for International organizations;
- Knowledge on the IPSAS compliant registration of contributions.
- Knowledge of Italian (written and spoken).
BENEFITS AND ENTITLEMENTS
UNESCO’s salaries consist of a basic salary and other benefits which may include if applicable: 30 days annual leave, family allowance, medical insurance, pension plan etc.
The approximate annual starting salary for this post is 39,401.00 US $.
For full information on benefits and entitlements, please consult our Guide to Staff Benefits.
SELECTION AND RECRUITMENT PROCESS
Please note that all candidates must complete an on-line application and provide complete and accurate information. To apply, please visit the UNESCO careers website. No modifications can be made to the application submitted.
The evaluation of candidates is based on the criteria in the vacancy notice, and may include tests and/or assessments, as well as a competency-based interview.
UNESCO uses communication technologies such as video or teleconference, e-mail correspondence, etc. for the assessment and evaluation of candidates.
Please note that only selected candidates will be further contacted and candidates in the final selection step will be subject to reference checks based on the information provided.
UNESCO recalls that paramount consideration in the appointment of staff members shall be the necessity of securing the highest standards of efficiency, technical competence and integrity. UNESCO applies a zero-tolerance policy against all forms of harassment. UNESCO is committed to achieving and sustaining equitable and diverse geographical distribution, as well as gender parity among its staff members in all categories and at all grades. Furthermore, UNESCO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Candidates from non- and under-represented Member States (last update here) are particularly welcome and strongly encouraged to apply. Individuals from minority groups and indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the highest level of confidentiality. Worldwide mobility is required for staff members appointed to international posts.
UNESCO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process.