|Deadline||22. October 2021|
|Level||Mid-career (3-7 years experience required)|
Location – London or Moscow. It may be possible for the post-holder to work from a different location.
Salary grade and benefits will vary country dependent
We currently have 2 open vacancies for this role, and duration will vary from 10 months to 16 months depending on the vacancy and successful postholders.
To lead on the development and implementation of Amnesty International’s research and campaigning strategies to deliver impact in relation to agreed priorities, providing research expertise and high-quality written research-based outputs, research management, political judgment and analytical, communication and representational skills on countries in the Eastern Europe and Central Asia region (Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Georgia, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Moldova, Russia, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Ukraine and Uzbekistan).
As a strong candidate, you will be an expert in the Eastern Europe and Central Asia region, with a demonstrated commitment to human rights, who has worked in, or on, one or several of the region’s countries, preferably Belarus, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Moldova, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Ukraine and/or Uzbekistan. You can demonstrate your ability to identify critical issues and practise rigorous analysis, and express it clearly and concisely in writing; maintain and develop effective networks; effectively represent an organization externally and communicate its key messages; and produce high-quality written reports and other materials for publication and internal use, in a timely fashion on a given subject. You are proficient in English and at least one of the region’s languages.
- To lead on the development and implementation of overarching research and campaigning strategies to deliver impact in relation to agreed priorities on countries in the Eastern Europe and Central Asia region;
- To monitor, research, investigate and analyze human rights-related developments in order to provide timely, accurate, independent and impartial assessments and expert advice on the human rights situation in the respective countries;
- To organize, take part in and lead, where agreed, field research and other missions; represent Amnesty International in the field;
- To represent the team and the organization, and communicate Amnesty International’s concerns, positions and, where relevant, campaign strategies to external and internal stakeholders;
- To develop and maintain effective constituencies of public and confidential contacts and partners in and outside the organization;
- To write high-quality reports and other materials for publication and internal use;
- To contribute to the development and maintenance of an effective information management system;
- To contribute to the development of sub-regional and region-wide strategies and plans for research and campaigning and provide input into internal discussions;
- To contribute to the overall flexibility of resource use and provide cover for other regional office staff as agreed with management;
- To perform all necessary administrative tasks.
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Specialist knowledge and preferably first-hand experience of the geographical area in your brief and an in-depth understanding of the nature of key human rights concerns, as well as political, social, legal, economic, cultural, ethnic, racial and gender issues in them;
- Proven experience of undertaking research on human rights or related issues;
- Ability to exercise good political judgment, thorough analysis and diplomacy to develop effective strategies to impact on human rights in the sub-region;
- Proven experience of writing high-quality research materials for publication for a variety of audiences, together with an understanding of the importance of tailoring materials for various target audiences including through digital channels;
- Ability to understand and express ideas in English and, where applicable, other relevant languages, in a fluent, clear and concise way, both orally and in writing;
- Ability to represent Amnesty International to external stakeholders;
- Ability to deal in a sensitive and understanding manner with a variety of people;
- Experience of working in a team and understanding of the importance of efficient communications for the coordination and effective functioning of teams;
- Experience of managing conflicting demands, meeting deadlines and adjusting priorities;
- Understanding of equal opportunities, cultural diversity and gender issues as well as a commitment to apply relevant policies.
Amnesty International is a global movement of more than 10 million people who campaign for a world where human rights are enjoyed by all. We reach almost every country in the world.
Our aim is simple: an end to human rights abuses. Independent, international and influential, we campaign for justice, fairness, freedom and truth wherever they’re denied. And whether we’re applying pressure through powerful research or direct lobbying, mass demonstrations or online campaigning, we’re all inspired by hope for a better world. One where human rights are respected and protected by everyone, everywhere.
At Amnesty International, we are passionate about what we do and we are proud of our achievements as a movement. To compensate our employees for the critical work they do, we reward them through a combination of an attractive and sector competitive salary and benefits package, high levels of engagement and involvement, and a commitment to employee development.
Benefits include 37 days annual leave (inclusive of public holidays and grace days), pension scheme, employee assistance programme, life assurance and many more benefits designed to suit your own personal lifestyle. All of this, in a professional, engaging environment.
For further information on our benefits, please visit https://www.amnesty.org/en/careers/benefits/
WHAT WE HOPE YOU WILL DO NEXT
If you are talented, passionate about human rights and want to use your skills, knowledge and experience to change the world then we would encourage you to click ‘Apply for this Role‘ below.
Freedom, Justice, Equality. Let’s get to work.
N.B. We reserve the right to close a vacancy before the closing date in the event of an overwhelming response or a change in business priorities.