|Deadline||20. December 2018|
|Level||Senior-level (7+ years experience required)|
Horizon Institute is seeking applicants for a Senior Communications Officer to be based in Hargeisa, Somaliland, with travel to Nairobi.
Start Date: 1 February 2019
About Horizon Institute
Horizon Institute is an NGO, based in Hargeisa, Somaliland and Nairobi, Kenya, that assists government, private sector and not-for-profit institutions to create and take advantage of development and capacity building opportunities by applying a collaborative approach that brings together national and international expertise. Our work lies at the intersection of human rights, institution building and locally driven development. We are also dedicated to ensuring that local knowledge and opinions take precedent in the design and implementation of the international development assistance programs we manage. We believe that leveraging local knowledge and prioritising human rights and the rule of law is key to strengthening governments and institutions, and moving communities from fragility to stability.
See our website for more details on what we do and how we work: https://www.thehorizoninstitute.org
Roles and Responsibilities
The Senior Communications Officer will be expected to:
- Develop and implement a portfolio of communications programmes and projects contributing to the successful delivery of the objectives and the strategic priorities of Horizon and its partner institutions in Somaliland;
- Raise the visibility, awareness and profile of the organization and its partner institutions within Somaliland, the region and internationally;
- Establish media partnerships for Horizon projects;
- Develop and implement effective communication and visibility strategies;
- Contribute significantly to developing the website of Horizon and that of its partners;
- Actively disseminate research findings through the media, including social media, other creative means of information dissemination, and events utilizing different presentation formats;
- Evaluate the results and impact of communication activities and report back on developments, trends and attitudes regarding the work of Horizon and its partners to the management team on a quarterly basis;
- Take the lead in strategic planning, development and implementation of communications campaigns;
- Serve as the principal liaison to media organizations;
- Organize seminars, lectures, conferences and public events on major issues and events relevant to the work of Horizon and its partner institutions and produce materials for print/electronic/voice/visual media;
- Ensure the integration of communications and media work in all programmes by providing support to staff and partners;
- Build the capacity of the staff of Horizon and its partner institutions in relation to communications and media through the development of guidelines, training materials and programmes.
We are looking for self-directed, flexible and dedicated candidates with a demonstrated passion for justice, human rights and sustainable development.
- Masters Degree in communications, journalism, public relations or a related subject;
- At least 7 years of relevant experience in information/communications;
- Strong interpersonal and representational skills;
- Excellent English writing and editing skills, including experience in preparing documents for publication;
- Ability to manage a demanding workload, prioritize and meet deadlines;
- A willingness to work flexibly and travel frequently.
- Experience of planning and conducting training;
- Experience of living and working in a post-conflict environment or in developing countries;
- Experience working with NGOs focused on justice or human rights;
- Fluency in spoken/written Somali.
Qualified and interested applicants are encouraged to submit a curriculum vitae and a letter of interest stating suitability for the position to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject heading “Senior Communications Officer” by 20 December 2018.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and will receive a response.Apply now