|Employer||Physicians for Human Rights|
|Deadline||30. November 2019|
|Level||Senior-level (7+ years experience required)|
For more than 30 years, Physicians for Human Rights (PHR) has used science and medicine to document and call attention to mass atrocities and severe human rights violations. PHR, which shared in the 1997 Nobel Peace Prize for its work to end the scourge of landmines, is poised for even greater growth and impact. As part of that strategy, we are very excited to be recruiting committed activists with a passion for human rights.
One such newly created role is that of digital director. This position will be responsible for all elements of digital strategy including the PHR website, digital advocacy, fundraising, and social media. The director will lead a team of three as well as a cross-functional, digital working group to create campaigns that include strategically coordinated, online fundraising, advocacy and social media components. The director will also manage fundraising and advocacy consultants to ensure that digital growth strategies result in increased funding, audience and supporter expansion, brand visibility, an increase in the number of health professionals engaging in human rights advocacy, and the development and application of data-driven insights to digital marketing.
Reports to: Director of Communications
Location: New York, NY
- Bachelor’s Degree required. Advanced degree preferred.
- Minimum ten years demonstrated successful experience in digital communications including digital fundraising, email advocacy, or online organizing.
- Strong knowledge of and experience with CMS, CRM, and digital activism software tools (Salesforce experience required).
- Demonstrated experience leading a dynamic team, supporting professional development, effectively delegating, successfully managing consultant contracts, and project managing multiple simultaneous work-streams.
- Proven track record of fundraising success.
- Significant experience in successfully managing consultant contracts
- Experience leading issue campaigns for an organization on a national and/or global scale.
- Demonstrated experience in content development and persuasive writing.
- Strong understanding of analytical tools (e.g. Google Analytics) and ability to report on metrics
- Familiarity with HTML and basic graphic production.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications, especially MS Word, MS Excel, MS Outlook.
- Take a lead role defining PHR’s digital fundraising, advocacy, and communications strategy, goals, and tactical execution across platforms (desktop, mobile, tablet) and channels (web, email, search, display).
- Lead a cross-departmental digital team that includes fundraising, advocacy, and communications.
- Identify opportunities for high-impact digital campaigns that will excite and engage our members, grow our activist base, inspire change, and raise funds.
- Drive creative thinking about and manage digital campaigns, storytelling, and engagement at all levels of the organization, including writing compelling petitions, emails, and fundraising appeals to mobilize our activists to take specific action and contribute financial resources.
- Drive organizational digital strategy, assessing tech tools, campaign strategy, and development/fundraising needs and potential.
- Understand and apply data driven decision making to our organizational online presence, including testing, analysis, reporting, and targeting.
- Lead an organizational culture shift to increase digital fluency and social media thought leadership among staff; enhance senior management subject matter expertise for full integration of digital with other parts of organizational strategy.
- Develop and implement a social media influencer strategy to position PHR’s content prominently within the medical and human rights communities.
- Oversee relationship with PHR’s digital fundraising consultants and coordinate their work with development, communications, and advocacy priorities.
- Strong staff management, team building and mentoring skills; ability to exercise sound judgment and leadership, and to operate in a collaborative, professional, and ethical manner.
- Outstanding communications skills, both verbal and written, and the ability to grasp and communicate substantive PHR policies and programs.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including the ability to work with staff at all levels, and ability to represent PHR with tact, diplomacy, and confidentiality.
- Superior writing and editing skills for the digital world, and the ability to produce effective content.
- Excellent organizational skills, including ability to conduct and coordinate multiple tasks under pressure to ensure deadlines are met.
- Mature, resilient, resourceful, and detail-oriented, with the ability to work both independently and as a member of a team.
- Strong commitment to the mission and goals of PHR.
Salary and Benefits
This is a full-time position located in New York City and is an in-office-based role (not remote).
How to Apply
Please email cover letter (with salary requirements) and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the job title of the position you are applying for in the subject line of your email. Kindly indicate where you saw this job posting in your cover letter.
Physicians for Human Rights is an equal opportunity employer committed to inclusive hiring and dedicated to diversity in its work and staff.