|Employer||The Oversight Board|
|Deadline||6. September 2020|
|Location||London or San Francisco|
|Level||Senior-level (7+ years experience required)|
The Oversight Board is a new body that will make binding and independent decisions about the most challenging content issues on Facebook and Instagram. The first members of the Board were announced in May 2020 and include Helle Thorning-Schmidt, former Prime Minister of Denmark, Tawakkol Karman, Nobel Peace Prize winner, Michael McConnell, Director of Stanford’s Constitutional Law Center, and many other extraordinary and diverse leaders and thinkers from around the world. The Board expects to become fully operational and begin considering cases in late 2020.
The Oversight Board Administration is the team of full-time staff who will support Board Members in carrying out their duties. The Administration will have offices in London, San Francisco and Washington, D.C., and operate with a global scope.
You can learn more about the Board at www.oversightboard.com
Role and responsibilities
We are currently seeking an exceptional individual to join as the Director of Content at a critically important period of development for the Oversight Board. As Director of Content, the post holder will play a pivotal role in the direction and success of the Oversight Board Administration. They will lead one of the core functions of the organisation, responsible for supporting the Oversight Board to review Facebook decisions appealed by users or referred by Facebook, and in providing support to the Board in issuing policy guidance. The issues the Board addresses will be of global consequence for the protection of users’ human rights online.
The Director of Content will be responsible for leading the Content Team, creating a cohesive, responsive, and proactive strategy for achieving the Oversight Board’s objectives and driving the team’s execution of this strategy.
They will be a member of the Oversight Board Administration’s Leadership Group (LG), and work collaboratively within this team to ensure the organisation’s success.
The post holder will demonstrate a strong track record of commitment to international human rights, in particular on freedom of expression in the digital era, and leadership in this or adjacent fields. They will have extensive experience of working with mechanisms to develop human rights standards and redress violations and abuses, ideally in a role . They will possess a deep understanding of how human rights norms apply to business enterprises, and experience on discriminated against and marginalised individuals and groups.
They will lead a global and diverse team, including the Case Screening Team, Case Development Team, Research and Policy Team, and the Decisions Implementation Officer, across multiple geographic locations. Each of these teams is led by a manager who will report directly to the Director of Content, who is responsible for the success of the Content Team as a whole.
The Case Screening Team will support the Oversight Board’s Case Selection Committee in developing and applying the selection criteria for cases, ensuring consistency and fairness in prioritisation, addressing competing and complex human rights issues at pace and scale.
The Case Development Team will support Oversight Board panels by developing the supporting case materials, attending to panel deliberations and being responsive to requests for additional information, and, where requested by panels, drafting decisions.
The Research & Policy Team will provide expert guidance to the Oversight Board on international human rights standards and other policy considerations to inform deliberations on cases and policy advisory statements.
The post holder will also oversee the build and management of the Content Team’s external stakeholder networks for the sourcing of additional expertise, as required in response to Oversight Board requests.
The post-holder will ensure that managers within the Content Team have the resources, support and guidance necessary to achieve the objectives of the Content Team as a whole, and have a proven track record of cultivating a motivating and enabling working environment for others.
Skills and Experience
Successful candidates are likely to have the following skills and experience:
- Law degree or equivalent, preferably at master’s level, with a specialisation in international human rights;
- Expertise and experience in international human rights law, in particular freedom of expression and media freedom in the digital age, including a focus on the rights of marginalised or discriminated against individuals and groups;
- Experience of leading the successful build or reform of institutions or mechanisms dedicated to the promotion of justice, with evidence of delivering innovative and impactful solutions to complex problems, and an ability to adapt strategies to changing circumstances;
- Experience working and engaging at a senior level with government policymakers and intergovernmental organisations, social media companies, human rights accountability mechanisms, civil society, and academia, including stakeholders representative of marginalised or discriminate against individuals and groups;
- Leadership experience at a senior level in a human rights or public policy related role, including in managing multiple diverse teams of 20+, with evidence of supporting and motivating the success of others;
- Experience leading policy development processes, including stakeholder engagement, consultative deliberation, and collaborative drafting;
- Experience in designing and implementing Monitoring and Evaluation strategies
- Excellent written and oral communications skills in English, and knowledge of other languages preferable;
- Experience in building sustainable and effective stakeholder relationships;
- Experience of working in multiple countries and/or diverse multinational workplaces.
Oversight Board is committed to promoting equal opportunities in employment. You will receive equal treatment regardless of age, disability, gender reassignment, marital or civil partner status, pregnancy or maternity, race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religion or belief, sex or sexual orientation.
We welcome all applications for this role. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled. If you are submitting an application, please note that we will only be in touch if your application is shortlisted for interview. This job advert will be removed from this page once the role has been filled. Please see our privacy notice here.
We have engaged with an Executive Search firm, Perrett Laver, who will be assisting with the recruitment and review of all applications and CVs. Should you have any queries or concerns about this, please do let us know.
Please note that we will be recruiting for further roles over the coming months. If you would like to keep updated with the work of the Oversight Board and future opportunities, please follow us on our LinkedIn page.Apply now