|Deadline||19. January 2020|
|Level||Senior-level (7+ years experience required)|
Muslim Advocates is a national civil rights organization working in the courts, in the halls of power, and in communities to halt bigotry in its tracks. Muslim Advocates seeks a creative, strategic, and experienced litigator to join our dynamic and growing team as Legal Director. The position will be based in our Washington, DC office.
Muslim Advocates utilizes legal advocacy, policy engagement and civic education to protect and defend the rights of American Muslims and other vulnerable populations. Our focus includes challenging discriminatory laws and policies, holding hate groups accountable, and ensuring that Americans can go about their everyday lives free from hate and discrimination. Muslim Advocates also continues to serve as a legal resource for educating American Muslims about the law and their rights and promoting their full and meaningful participation in American public life.
The legal director will play a leadership role in developing legal advocacy strategies and supporting the legal team in pursuit of our mission and priorities.
Roles and Responsibilities
● Thought leader on legal and advocacy strategies to protect the rights of American Muslims and other vulnerable communities.
● Effectively builds and maintains a high-impact litigation docket that achieves Muslim Advocates goals.
● Supervises, trains and supports the development of the legal team (attorneys, fellows, assistants, interns) through all phases of litigation, including community education and outreach, identifying clients, case development, drafting pleadings and briefs, engaging in all aspects of discovery, and oral arguments on pretrial and appellate matters.
● Build, manage and maintain relationships with clients, affected communities, law firms, law schools/legal clinics, allied legal groups, and other key stakeholders to advance the legal advocacy work.
● Speak and represent Muslim Advocates in the media and at public events and meetings with key stakeholders.
In short, we are seeking candidates who are thoughtful and skilled litigators, detail-oriented, problem-solvers; candidates must also be aligned with our urgent mission of fighting for freedom, justice, and equality for all.
To be successful in this position, you will excel in the following areas:
● Solid track record of litigation experience, including developing cases, federal appellate and trial/pretrial experience, and zealous advocacy with meaningful results.
● Experience managing staff, including supporting development of attorneys and other legal professionals and promoting collaboration within and across teams, to meet impactful goals and objectives.
● Commitment to the Muslim Advocates mission and to civil rights challenges facing the diversity of American Muslim communities.
● Relationship-oriented (to build relationships with clients and key external stakeholders).
● Strong written and verbal communications skills
● Can set a vision and goals and strategies to meet that vision
● Brings energy, creativity, initiative and entrepreneurial temperament to build growing team and body of work
In addition, candidates should have a J.D. from an accredited university; 8+ years of professional experience is preferred (though not required). Candidates should be admitted in good standing to the bar of any state and/or the District of Columbia. Candidates should be fluent in oral and written English (other languages are a plus). Candidates should be willing and able to travel as the demands of the position would require.
Muslim Advocates is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. People of color, individuals from diverse faith (or no faith) backgrounds, women, people with disabilities, and LGBTQ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Compensation & Benefits
Muslim Advocates offers a generous and competitive salary and benefits package, commensurate with experience.
How to Apply
Interested candidates should apply online through this link: https://muslimadvocates.applytojob.com/apply/R4jzetthXQ/Legal-Director. Please be sure to upload the following materials with your application: (1) a cover letter specifying the candidate’s interest in working with Muslim Advocates and their skills and relevant experience; (2) a resume; (3) a list of three references; and (4) a 5 – 10 page legal writing sample.
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis and accepted until the position is filled.
For more information about Muslim Advocates, visit: www.muslimadvocates.org.Apply now