|Application deadline(s)||April 1, 2024|
|Official Website||Click here|
Master in Conflict Studies and Human Rights is an international graduate selective program that combines the learning of theory with an in-depth case study analysis. During the courses, students learn about both the dynamics of violent armed conflicts and the problems linked to international and national humanitarian or military intervention by organizations such as the UN, NATO, or non-governmental organizations.
The aim of the program is to tackle some of the most pressing issues in the world and answer the questions such as ‘’how is the term ‘human rights’ used and abused in times of violent conflict?’’ and ‘’why has ’nationalist’ violence erupted in Ukraine?’’. To answer these questions and similar, students will be able to employ systemic analysis of collective violence, processes of inclusion and exclusion, and mobilization. Besides dealing with the theoretical part, as well as conducting research and writing a master thesis, students are also able to take an internship at on organization that works in the fields of conflict and/or human rights. The internship ideally helps students to collect empirical data for their thesis project. Students can arrange internships by themselves at organizations such as CARE, INCORE, PAX, Cordaid, UNDP, War Child, Permanent Mission to the UN in New York, UNCHR, Embassies and Ministries of Defense and Foreign Affairs, and local NGOS working ‘in the field’, from Kampala, Paris, Sarajevo, Belfast, Beirut to Pristina and Guatemala City.
- Bachelor’s degree in the humanities, law, and/or one of the social sciences.
- Knowledge of Conflict Studies and Human Rights demonstrated in a motivation letter.
- The ability to present a feasible and relevant preliminary research idea for master’s thesis.
- Excellent scholarly abilities demonstrated by an academic track record of high grades.
- Demonstrable practical or professional experience with work or research in conflict zones is an advantage.
- A good knowledge of English.